Jan. 2020 Update: In August 2019, Arvada City Council determined that additional information is needed to decide the next steps regarding organized waste hauling in Arvada. Staff is gathering information, and the topic will be addressed again by Council sometime in 2020. Updates will be provided here and on our other digital communication channels and the Arvada Report. Stay tuned.
Why Explore Waste Hauler Options
Arvada residents have consistently indicated that an efficient waste hauling system is extremely important to them (85% in the 2015 and prior citizen surveys); and in the 2017 Community Survey, two-thirds of residents supported the idea of an organized trash-hauling and recycling system. In response to results from the Arvada Citizen Survey and recommendations from the City’s Sustainability Advisory Committee, the City of Arvada is exploring organized waste hauling in our community. The City anticipates this project would identify options that would be safer, cleaner and less expensive for the community by:
- Creating fewer trucks on the road (and less often) for:
- increased safety
- reduced road damage
- decreased noise and air pollution
- Reducing costs to residents
- Increasing recycling options
- Increasing quality of customer service
Council has directed staff to gather more detailed information regarding pricing and service options for further consideration regarding next steps for the waste hauling issue. Future actions would include:
- An ordinance would need to be written allowing the City to explore a contract with a waste hauler.
- Council would need to approve the ordinance.
- The City would then be able to consider a contract with a waste hauler.
- At that point, community engagement opportunities would be considered.
Council has expressed that the service would most likely include:
- Curbside trash and recycling service
- Robust customer service requirements
- Volume-based pricing
Other details would be worked out during contract negotiations if a contract were to be pursued.
Want to Learn More?
Explore resources, project timeline and community engagement.
- Council workshop December 10, 2018: Arvada's citizen-led Sustainability Advisory Committee presented their recommendations to Council for an organized trash-hauling recycling system.
- Council workshop February 11, 2019: Staff presented to Council; Council permitted residents' questions; Staff generated an FAQ page in response
- Council workshop May 13, 2019: Staff presented results of the Speak Up Arvada survey and other information to Council
- May 2019: Staff released a Request for Proposal (RFP) to waste hauling companies
- Council workshop July 22, 2019: Staff presented a summary of the RFP information received from waste hauling companies
- February 2019: Council invited the public to share their questions regarding organized waste hauling in Arvada at their Feb. 11 council workshop. All questions were compiled.
- February 2019: FAQ document generated from residents' questions; posted on arvada.org and on Speak Up Arvada.
- March through May 2019: Public survey posted on Speak Up Arvada to help refine RFP scope
Recycling Information: Arvada residents frequently request information regarding recycling. Please keep in mind that the recycling industry changes rapidly and information goes out of date quickly; additionally, recycling is handled differently in various locales: arvada.org/residents/recycling-resources.
2012 Waste Hauling Study: The City of Arvada explored waste-hauling in 2011. If you would like to view the results of the study, you may download the document here. Download the 2011 Residential Hauling Study (2.17MB)
City Manager's Office, 720-898-7500
- by City Manager