Why an Organized Waste Hauling System?
The Next Step in the Public Process
On May 4, City Council heard a first reading on a proposed ordinance to allow an organized waste hauling system in Arvada. View video. On May 11, City Council further discussed the project. View video.
The next important public process step in this project will occur at the June 15 City Council public hearing, where City Council will hear and consider public comment and make a decision. The City is providing the following opportunities for you to learn more about the process to ensure you feel prepared to provide feedback to Council during the public hearing.
Public Engagement Opportunities
Participate in a Public Forum - May 28, 6 p.m.
The forum will include a presentation of the organized system and the reading of the community’s questions along with the answers. You may submit your questions in advance of and during the forum by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may submit your questions via telephone during business hours at 720-898-7000 until 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 28. You may view the forum in the following ways:
Attend In-person Engagement Events (by appointment) - week of June 1
Members of the City team are exploring potential locations across Arvada for small-group discussion. Dates and locations are yet to be determined. An appointment process for the in-person events would be utilized to ensure strict Safer-at-Home safety guidelines would be followed. More info coming soon.
Participate on Speak Up Arvada Engagement Platform - coming soon
- Take our quick poll
- Take our survey
Provide Feedback Via Email or Telephone
The City team is accepting questions and comments via a dedicated email address and phone number.
All questions are logged, responded to and used to inform updates to information resources.
Want to Learn More?
Arvada residents have consistently indicated that an efficient waste hauling system is extremely important to them (85 percent in the 2015 and prior community surveys); and in the 2017 and 2019 Community surveys, two-thirds of residents supported the idea of an organized trash-hauling and recycling system. In response to results from the Arvada Community Surveys and recommendations from the City’s Sustainability Advisory Committee, the City of Arvada is exploring organized waste hauling in our community. The City anticipates this project would identify options that would be safer, cleaner and less expensive for the community by:
- Creating fewer trucks on the road (and less often) for:
- increased safety
- reduced road damage
- decreased noise and air pollution
- Reducing costs to residents
- Increasing recycling options
- Increasing quality of customer service
- City of Arvada Waste Hauling Request for Proposal (RFP)
- Council workshop December 10, 2018: Arvada's citizen-led Sustainability Advisory Committee presented their recommendations to Council for an organized trash-hauling recycling system.
- Council workshop February 11, 2019: Staff presented to Council; Council permitted residents' questions; Staff generated an FAQ page in response
- Council workshop May 13, 2019: Staff presented results of the Speak Up Arvada survey and other information to Council
- May 2019: Staff released a Request for Proposal (RFP) to waste hauling companies
- Council workshop July 22, 2019: Staff presented a summary of the RFP information received from waste hauling companies
Previous Public Engagement
- February 2019: Council invited the public to share their questions regarding organized waste hauling in Arvada at their Feb. 11 council workshop. All questions were compiled.
- February 2019: FAQ document generated from residents' questions; posted on arvada.org and on Speak Up Arvada.
- March through May 2019: Public survey posted on Speak Up Arvada to help refine RFP scope
Recycling Information: Arvada residents frequently request information regarding recycling. Please keep in mind that the recycling industry changes rapidly and information goes out of date quickly; additionally, recycling is handled differently in various locales: arvada.org/residents/recycling-resources.
2012 Waste Hauling Study: The City of Arvada explored waste-hauling in 2011. If you would like to view the results of the study, you may download the document here. Download the 2011 Residential Hauling Study (2.17MB)
City Manager's Office, 720-898-7500