If immediate help is needed, dial 911. For non-emergencies:
- The Jefferson County Mental Health Suicide Prevention (24/7): 1-800-201-5264.
- The National Suicide Prevention Hotline (24/7): 1-800-273-8255
The Center for Disease Control list suicide as the 11th leading cause of death among Americans. Yet more persons actually survive a suicide attempt than those who succeed in killing themselves, resulting in a need for medical care.
Suicide impacts everyone. Surprisingly, there are more elders (65+) who commit suicide than any other age group.
Young people are also at higher risk for committing suicide. The Colorado Office of Suicide Prevention tells us that suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth ages 10-19 years.
As many as one-quarter of all youth will have thoughts of suicide in any given year. With the vast amount of information on the internet, youth now have access to finding all kinds of supportive information on how to commit suicide. Often there is not a counter-balance to help our youth.
- previous suicide attempt(s)
- alcohol or drug abuse
- family history of suicide and/or violence
- history of depression or other mental illness
- physical illness
- feeling alone
For excellent information on understanding suicide, check the Center for Disease Control website at www.cdc.gov/injury
Second Wind Fund
The greater Denver metro area is privileged to have the Second Wind Fund, a non-profit organization that raises funds to provide free mental health counseling for at-risk youth with ideations of suicide. It is the only program of it's kind in the country. To contact the Second Wind Fund, you can call their office at 303-988-2645. For further information, visit their website at www.swfmd.org
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
- National Hopeline Network at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- Kristin Brooks Hope Center Spanish suicide support line at 1-800-SUICIDA (1-800-784-2432)
- Comitis Center hotline at 303-343-9890
- For more information, local help and treament, including a list of counselors, contact The Second Wind, www.swfmd.org
- by Public Safety (Police)