Make Tax Time Pay!
Free tax help is available to ensure working families get the refunds they deserve. Families in Colorado that earned less than about $53,000 in 2016 could be eligible for up to $6,200 or more in tax refunds from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other tax benefits. In addition, these families can save money by filing their taxes for free at one of Tax Help Colorado's 26 free tax sites.
When filing taxes, be sure to ask about…
- The Earned Income Tax Credit: A federal tax benefit that boosts the incomes of families with children that earned less than $53,000 in 2016. Working people without children who have incomes below about $14,800 are also eligible for a very small EITC.
- The State Earned Income Tax Credit: The State of Colorado will now match 10% of your federal EITC this year through the state EITC. For example, if you claimed $5,000 in federal EITC refunds, you will receive $500 from the state EITC.
- Child Tax Credit: A tax benefit that also helps working families with children is worth up to $1,000 per child.
- Education and Retirement tax credits: Special tax credits which are available for those who are saving for retirement or paying for college.
- Minimum essential coverage: Qualifying health coverage through Connect for Health Colorado, Medicaid or your employer. If you did not have health coverage, ask to see if you qualify for an exemption to paying the penalty.
Learn more about your tax credit eligibility and find the location of a free tax site near you, by dialing 2-1-1 (it’s a free call!) or visit www.piton.org/eitc.