Skip Main Navigation
City Facilities Delayed Opening 12/12 City facilities will have a delayed opening on Thursday, Dec, 12 for an internal function. Our offices will be open for business at 9...
Skip to Content

Common Code Questions

Are you curious about sidewalk shoveling rules, weeds, or RVs parked on streets? Find answers to common code enforcement questions. 

Frequent Questions

How Tall Can a Fence Be?

In front yards, fences can be up to 4 feet high but must be 65% open. In back yards and other locations, fences can typically be up to 6 feet high. Permits are required for fences in Arvada. If you need information on the permit process, visit Building Permits: Fences

When Do Sidewalks Need to be Shoveled?

Sidewalks need to be shoveled within 24 hours after the snow stops or a storm. If you are interested in helping seniors or individuals with disabilities shovel, or if you need assistance, explore the Snow Buddies Program. To read the full City ordinance, visit  Section 18 on Municode.

How Tall Can Grass or Weeds Be?

No vegetation can be taller than 1 foot. Vegetation includes grass, brush, and weeds. This does not include trees, shrubs, cultivated flowers, or vegetables. The City of Arvada has adopted the 2009 IPMC Code, which provides more information.

Can Recreational Vehicles or Equipment be Parked on My Street?

Recreational equipment is not allowed to be stored on a public street. This includes recreational vehicles, boats, travel trailers, tent trailers, and so on. They can park on a street for up to 72 hours. When parked on a street within this timeframe, they cannot be used for living or sleeping. To read the full ordinance, visit  Parking, Storage and Use of Major Recreation vehicles on Municode.

Can Garbage Cans be Stored in Front of Houses?

Garbage or trash cans (refuse containers) cannot be stored in front of a residence. They can be put at the curbside (as long they do not obstruct the street or sidewalk) for up to 24 hours a week.  Read the full Refuse Removal and Containers ordinance on Municode.

Can I Operate a Short-term Rental in the City of Arvada?

Short-term rentals are typically when a property owner rents out a room or an entire dwelling for a period of time ranging from one day to a few weeks, often through online services such as Airbnb or VRBO. An administrative interpretation of the City's Land Development Code (LDC) made on June 1, 2016 determined that properties located within a residential zone district, with rentals of 30 days or less, are not allowed. Both the LDC and the Arvada Municipal Code pertaining to taxation require rental periods of 30 days or more, to be considered residential in nature. Anything less than this 30 day time frame is considered a motel/hotel per our current LDC and requires a sales tax license if it were situated in a zoning district in which such use is allowed. Read the full Short-term Rental Administrative Interpretation.

Code Resources

In Municode, you can find a specific ordinance, get definitions, or just browse the Code of Ordinances. Tip: After launching Municode, try the search box at the top of the tool. Entering a term (such as "parking") will help you explore every ordinance addressing a topic.   


 Launch Municode