It is unlawful for an owner or custodian of an animal to allow that animal to create a disturbance by loud, persistent, or habitual barking, howling, yelping or other unreasonable noise.
Options for Resolution
- Try talking. We encourage you to contact your neighbor and try to work it out on the neighborhood level first before filing a complaint. Although this is not required, it can be an effective way of resolving the issue and opening up direct communication with your neighbor.
- Request a letter. If speaking to them directly is not an option, you may request a form letter, provided by Arvada Animal Management, which you can send to the owner
How Can I File a Complaint?
To file a barking dog complaint you must provide:
- An exact location of where the dog lives.
- A description of the animal.
- Dates and timeframes the dog barks.
- Your name, address and phone number.
What Happens when a Complaint is Filed?
When Animal Management receives a complaint of a barking dog:
- The owner is first given a written or verbal warning.
- If this does not resolve the problem, a ticket may be issued.
- For a ticket to be issued, the ordinance requires two witnesses from separate households to be willing to testify to the specific complaint.
If you would like to request a form letter, a brochure on barking dogs or to file a barking dog complaint please submit a service request or call Animal Control at 720-898-6850.
- by Public Safety (Police)