CDOT's contractor Design Construction Company will begin construction of modifications to the W. 55th Ave and Wadsworth Bypass intersection beginning as early as February 6. Expect lane reductions between 55th and 56th Avenues on Wadsworth Bypass and lane closures on 55th Avenue. Construction is anticipated to last approximately eight weeks weather permitting.
For construction inquiries, concerns or questions, a project hotline has been set up to operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The contractor’s Public Information Manager will respond to inquiries as soon as possible, but at least within 24 hours.
- Project Hotline: 303-317-3311
- Project Email: 55wadsworthintersection @gmail.com.
Construction of a new traffic signal at W 56th Ave and Wadsworth Bypass was completed in Fall 2016 to improve access to buses from the Olde Town Transit Hub.
The existing traffic signal at W. 55th Avenue and Wadsworth Bypass is as follows:
- Eastbound and westbound right turn movements will continue to be allowed.
- Northbound and southbound left turn movements are allowed and will be protected with turn arrows at the W. 55th Avenue and Wadsworth Bypass intersection.
- U-turns at the adjacent traffic signals at W. 56th and W. 53rd Avenue will be allowed and protected with turn arrows.
The purpose of the traffic signal at W 56th Ave is to serve commuters accessing the G Line Station (Olde Town Arvada) and improve progression on State Highway 121 (Wadsworth Blvd). An added benefit is that “cut through” traffic on W 55th Ave within the residential neighborhood will be reduced and traffic volumes will shift to W 56th Ave, which is a collector street.
The City of Arvada studied how this project impacts neighborhood circulation and travel. Alternative travel routes were evaluated and the results show that changes to the Wadsworth Bypass intersections will increase travel times between 1 minute and 2.5 minutes as shown in the attached Travel Time Heat Map.
Residents and businesses in the affected area were notified about two public meeting in June 2016. The meetings were attended by the City, CDOT, and RTD to answer public inquiries. Maps, diagrams, information and analysis presented to the public is available using the links below. This page will be updated often. Please check back for additional meeting dates.
Maps, Photos and other Documents
- 55th Wadsworth Traffic Report
- Olde Town Transit Hub Circulation Plan
- Aerial Photograph of impacted area
- W. 55th Ave/Wadsworth Bypass and W. 56th Ave/Wadsworth Bypass Access Change
- W. 55th Ave/Wadsworth Bypass Access Change Conceptual Drawing
- W. 56th Ave/Wadsworth Bypass Access Change Conceptual Drawing
- Access Changes
- Intersection Median Striping Plan
- Traffic Level Plan - Existing
- Traffic Level Plan - Built
- Bus Routes Existing
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Access
- Travel Time Heat Map
City of Arvada Contact
Traffic Engineering at 720-898- 7740.
- by Public Works