July 12 Update: New traffic patterns went into effect this week on Indiana Street and 72nd Avenue. On 72nd Avenue, one lane in each direction is now separated by a work zone in the center of the road. This new alignment will allow the contractor to finish the final phase of construction on 72nd Avenue before the top layer of asphalt can be placed. Motorists should continue to expect modified traffic patterns and intermittent lane closures with alternating traffic from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The current schedule indicates project completion in late August 2019.
*Fines are double in the work zone and increased speed enforcement is underway.
For the week of July 14, 2019: New traffic patterns are in place. Use caution in the work zone.
Through the end of the project crews will:
- Finish grading and paving the northbound lanes north of the intersection
- Construct concrete median islands and sidewalk on 72nd Avenue
- Finish constructing Indiana Street south of the intersection after the Ralston Ridge development project completes sanitary sewer installation on Indiana Street
- Install guardrail and permanent traffic signs
- Activate the new traffic signals
- Grade Croke Canal and install slope protection at the new box culvert
- Move the southbound lane of Indiana Street to the west to create a final work zone in the center of Indiana Street for median island construction
- Place the final asphalt layer and pavement markings
You can learn more about the project by calling the project hotline at 720-900-8670 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plans to improve the intersection have been in development since 2013. This $7-million project is funded through the City’s Capital Improvement Project Fund. Planned intersection enhancements will improve the safety and functionality of the intersection. This project will raise the profile of the roadway to improve drainage, upgrade the traffic signal and provide additional capacity through the intersection. The new intersection layout has been designed to accommodate future traffic volumes. Two lanes in each direction will be provided through the intersection and Indiana Street will be widened to accommodate double left-turn lanes in both directions. Other project improvements include:
- New sidewalks and on-street bike lanes
- Undergrounding utilities
- Water line replacement
- Storm sewer upgrades
- Bridge expansion on 72nd Avenue over Croke Canal