72nd Avenue west of Indiana Street (Colorado Highway 72) is now open to traffic. Vehicles are driving on a temporary surface. The final asphalt layer will be placed in several weeks.
72nd Avenue west of Indiana Street (Colorado Highway 72) is closed for road reconstruction after full bridge replacement. Access to adjacent parcels is maintained. A signed detour route utilizing 80th/82nd Avenue and Quaker Street is provided. Although the weather has delayed the opening of 72nd Avenue, crews continue to work on other project components in order to meet the expected project completion in May.
Work scheduled during the week of May 19 (weather-dependent):
- Pave 72nd Avenue east of Indiana Street
- Place curb & gutter on 72nd Avenue west of Indiana Street
- Install driveway pipes on 72nd Avenue east of Indiana Street
- Place and grade aggregate base on 72nd Avenue east of Indiana Street
72nd Avenue east of Indiana Street is in a temporary traffic alignment along the south side of the road. Expect narrow travel lanes. Expect single-lane, alternating traffic utilizing flaggers (Monday - Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) on Indiana Street and 72nd Avenue. All businesses are open during construction.
Detour map for 72nd Ave. WEST of Indiana
What to Expect
The City of Arvada and contractor partner, Jalisco International, are beginning a year-long project to widen the intersection of Indiana Street (Colorado Highway 72) and 72nd Avenue.
Indiana Street and 72nd Avenue--Currently
- Intermittent lane closures with alternating traffic from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- One lane in each direction will be provided whenever possible during working hours and when work is not taking place.
- Occasional night and weekend work is expected.
- Speed limit reductions are anticipated and fines are double within work zone.
- The project is weather-dependent and the schedule is subject to change.
Project completion is expected in summer 2019.
Plans to improve the intersection have been in development since 2013. This $7-million project is funded through the City’s Capital Improvement Project Fund. Planned intersection enhancements will improve the safety and functionality of the intersection. This project will raise the profile of the roadway to improve drainage, upgrade the traffic signal and provide additional capacity through the intersection. The new intersection layout has been designed to accommodate future traffic volumes. Two lanes in each direction will be provided through the intersection and Indiana Street will be widened to accommodate double left-turn lanes in both directions. Other project improvements include:
- New sidewalks and on-street bike lanes
- Undergrounding utilities
- Water line replacement
- Storm sewer upgrades
- Bridge expansion on 72nd Avenue over Croke Canal
Project hotline: 720-900-8670; project email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be added to the project notification list for future project updates, send a request to the email@example.com.