The speed limit on W. 72nd Avenue is 25 mph. Please obey speed limits through the construction zone. Alternate routes are advised.
Week of March 27
Simms to Oak St.
- Quail Street closure, north of W. 72nd Avenue, will be in place Saturday, April 1 to Monday April 3 for water line work.
- Water service shut-offs will be necessary in the area. Impacted residents will be notified.
- Residential access will be maintained.
- Please follow detour signs and use Simms Street to W. 74th Avenue for alternate access.
- Residential driveway work continues on W. 72nd Ave. from Quail to Oak streets.
- Quail Street closure, north of W. 72nd Ave. to south of the Oberon Middle School entrance, from Saturday, April 15 to Monday, April 24 to connect a new water line and pave the road.
- Water shut-offs will be necessary in the area. Impacted residents will be notified.
- Stay tuned for more information.
- Pedestrian access is available on the south side from Simms to Oak streets. Please use signalized intersections to cross W. 72nd Ave.
- Utility companies will continue work east of Oak to Kipling streets for the foreseeable future, with an estimated completion date of July 2023—weather and supply chain-dependent.
- Crews will be potholing for utilities between Swadley Court and Oak Street through the week.
The project hotline is 720-314-8342. The email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pierson Court at W. 72nd Avenue is permanently closed.
Please remember: no parking on W. 72 nd Ave., from Kipling to Simms streets, including inside the work zone closures on the shoulders.
Work will take place 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Construction activities are weather-dependent and subject-to-change.
The Public Works department presents to the City Council with updates about the bond projects at W. 72nd Avenue and Ralston Road.
- March 13, 2023: Quarterly Bond Project Update
- In the November 6, 2018 election, Arvada residents approved Ballot Issue 3F for a bond issue to fund improvements to Ralston Road and W. 72nd Ave.
- W. 72nd Ave. is a major east-west corridor for Arvada, serving 21,000 vehicle trips each day. This regional corridor provides access to Westminster and Golden/Jefferson County.
- The Citizens’ Capital Improvement Plan Committee (CCIPC) ranked improvements to W. 72nd Ave. as a high priority.
- The project also meets concerns expressed in recent Arvada Citizen Surveys.
- The 2014 Comprehensive Plan generated transportation models indicating that the congestion, operation and safety of W. 72nd Ave. will deteriorate with the build-out of the City.
Why Improvement is Needed
- West of Kipling St., W. 72nd Ave. shrinks abruptly from four lanes to two, creating a bottleneck.
- The at-grade Union Pacific Railroad crossing near Oak St. creates major traffic backups when a train passes through.
- The intermittent or absent sidewalks create unsafe conditions for pedestrians and cyclists.
What the Project Entails
- Widen W. 72nd Ave. between Kipling and Simms Streets to match the road east of Kipling, eliminating the bottleneck.
- Create an underpass at the Union Pacific Railroad crossing near Oak St. to eliminate traffic backups.
- Add bike lanes and sidewalks.
- Upgrade signalized intersections.
- Resolve significant drainage issues along W. 72nd Ave.