Skip Main Navigation
Web Site Outage Tuesday,  December 6, 12-2 a.m. Scheduled maintenance will cause an outage of our web sites next week. It will occur in the very early hours of Tuesday, December 6th, 12- 2...
Skip to Content

Right of Way Permits and Applications

Who Needs a Right of Way Permit

General public improvements consisting of construction, reconstruction and remodeling of storm drains, irrigation ditches, fire lines, sewer and water lines (including new services and/or repairs on private property between the property line and the building), sewer and water mains, curb and gutters, sidewalks, streets, potholing, boring, traffic-control devices and similar improvements which are constructed on public rights of way, easements and other public property.  All right of way permits can only be issued to a contractor that carries a current Municipal General Contractor license with the City of Arvada Engineering.

Before You Apply

Prior to applying for a permit, any person planning to excavate in the City's right-of-way shall review the City's Construction Projects and Street Cut Moratorium maps listed below. If proposed construction falls within these designated areas, the applicant shall coordinate with the City Project Engineer, to minimize damage and avoid undue disruption and interference with the public use of such right-of-way.

City Construction Projects

City Street Cut Moratorium

Permit Types and How to Obtain Them 

Permits that must be applied for online:


These permits are required for work that includes new or replacement of gas, phone, conduit, fiber, cable or electrical services that are being installed in the public right of way, easement or other public property. This work may include but is not limited to:

  • Boring
  • Bore Pits
  • Overhead Utility-Private
  • Underground Utility- Private (Gas lines and mains, conduit, etc.)
  • Potholing (Test Holes) -Street, Concrete, Landscape
  • Vaults
  • Asphalt and concrete patching or repair


These permits are required for the installation, repair or disconnects of water and sewer services for residential and commercial either in the street, parking lot or yard and are to be obtained per individual address. 


These permits are required for contractors doing flatwork replacement in the right of way for single family or commercial properties in the City of Arvada. This type of work includes combination curb and gutter, detached walk, vertical curb and gutter, crosspans, ADA ramps and sidewalk chase drains.


These permits are required for contractors doing landscape, tree trimming, fencing, guard rails, etc. that need traffic control set up in the City of Arvada street but are not disturbing the right of way.


Development Permits are created internally and emailed to the Developer/Contractor after several conditions have been met (please refer to the information below)


These permits are required for work in the right of way or easement that includes asphalt patching, flatwork, paving, milling, traffic control devices (signs, striping, pavement markings, etc), wet tap and wet utilities for any development in the City of Arvada that has been approved by the Development Engineer for construction. ** These permits are created by the City of Arvada Warranty team and will be sent to the developer/contractor once we have signed construction plans, an approved escrow or letter of credit, a site disturbance permit, all necessary reports and a Project Coordination Meeting has been held.


 - Additional Information -

Sales and Use Tax

In order to efficiently serve our community the City of Arvada Engineering Division started collecting use tax on every right-of-way permit at the time of permit issuance in 2019. This change simplifies the tax payment process for both contractors and the City as taxes will be collected up front instead of after the project has been completed. These fees are calculated on the job value provided on your application. Sales and Use Tax is required by law on all materials and equipment incorporated in or used in the performance of the work. The contractor/developer is subject to audits on these taxes. Once the permit is issued, please use the permit when purchasing goods and materials for your project. If you are an Arvada Business License holder you can submit your Business license number for quarterly reporting. If the project is tax exempt, you will need to include your project specific tax exempt form.

Licensing Requirements 

All contractors must have a current General Municipal Contractor license and be in good standing with the City of Arvada to obtain a permit. 


The Colorado 811 locate confirmation number must be entered on all applications.

All utilities must be identified through the locate process prior to excavation of soil, including boring. In the event that a City Utility cannot be located within the specified boundaries of the request area; the contractor/excavator will be notified by e-mail and/or phone of a mandatory on-site meeting to discuss alternate measures for protecting the utility. No excavation of soil, including boring, is permitted until the on-site meeting has taken place and all utilities have been located. Failure to comply will be deemed unreasonable action by the contractor/excavator and may result in the contractor/excavator assuming all liability for damages to such utilities.

  • Red - Electric power lines, cables, conduit, and lighting cables
  • Blue - Drinking water
  • Orange - Telecommunication, alarm or signal lines, cables, or conduit
  • Purple - Reclaimed water, irrigation, and slurry lines
  • Yellow - Natural gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other gaseous, or flammable material
  • Pink - Temporary survey markings, unknown/unidentified facilities
  • Green - Sewers and drain lines
  • White - Proposed excavation limits or route


Inspections are completed on a daily basis Monday through Friday between 8am and 3pm, and must be scheduled online by 6 a.m. of the desired day of inspection. To schedule inspections please visit and login with your Arvada Contractor license (AEC #) and password.

*Special Inspection Requests:

Work that will be inspected during non-city business hours needs to be requested and approved. Please send your inspection requests to at least 1 business day prior to your desired work date.

Contact Information

  •  Main Telephone Number:
  •  Street Address:
    8101 Ralston Road, Arvada, CO 80002