The Alkire Street Trail project will construct an 8 foot detached trail on the west side of Alkire Street from W 78th Avenue to W 80th Avenue, including a new pedestrian bridge over the canal and an improved crosswalk at 78th Avenue across Alkire Street. This will greatly enhance bike and pedestrian safety along the corridor.
In 2020, the City applied for and was awarded a Transportation Alternative Program (TAP) Grant through the Colorado Department of Transportation. This grant provides 80% funding for the project and the City will provide 20% of the funding.
This project will also help to improve the stormwater drainage system through the area. The City has a separate project working to finish connecting the trail from W 78th Avenue to 600’ south where the current Alkire Street trail ends. This portion of the project must be funded and completed separately due to newly uncovered stormwater system design challenges through this area.
*Click on the map to enlarge.
Construction is anticipated to begin in late summer 2023. The project will take 6 to 8 months with anticipated completion in early 2024.
What to Expect
- Working hours will be 7 am to 7 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Efforts will be put in place to pause work during school drop off and let out times to avoid congestion.
- Single lane closures can be expected throughout the project.
- Accommodations will be made for pedestrians through the construction zone.
- Flaggers will direct one-way traffic while the road is open during construction.
- Planned water outages will be necessary.
- Impacted residents will be notified.
- Construction noise may be present during working hours.
- Please check this project webpage for the most current information about construction impacts.
Please submit questions or concerns through Ask Arvada or email us at email@example.com.
- by Public Works