Skip Main Navigation
City Facilities Closed Monday May 29 In observance of Memorial Day, all City facilities will be closed on Monday, May...
Waste Hauling Service Delay Republic Services will experience a one day service delay the week of May 29 in observance of Memorial...
Skip to Content

Residential Exterior

Permits are required for any structure (attached or detached) being constructed on a property. Below are some examples of projects that require a permit, this is not an all inclusive list.

Please use Residential Exterior application for the following projects:

Decks Attached Shade Over 200 SF
Attached Garage Attached Shade 200 SF of Less
Outdoor Kitchen/living (Gas Fire Places) Awning
Addition Egress Window
Carport Detached Accessory Structure (Sheds, Garages, etc.) over 200 SF
Hot Tubs/Above Ground Pools In-ground Pool

Before you Apply

Review online guides and the adopted building codes to help you understand the requirements for your projects, utilize this online code resource for the current adopted codes.

Is a Contractor’s License Required?

If you are the owner and occupant of the residence and you are completing the work by yourself, a license is not required. If you are hiring a contractor for any part of the project, the City of Arvada requires a licensed contractor to be listed on the permit. If you are the owner of the residence and it is not your primary residence, you will need to hire a contractor or obtain a contractor’s license to be able to be issued the permit.

Type of License required for Residential Exterior:

  • Class I-B builder's unlimited license

  • Class II-B builder's license

  • Class III-B builder's miscellaneous license

How to Apply

Our application process and plan review is completely electronic. If you have your plans in an electronic format, you will be able to upload them during the application process. Plans can be drawn by hand and dropped off at City Hall, staff will scan them and convert to PDF. There are numerous online resources available for drawing scaled plans that can help you create electronic plans.

When the project scope and all documents are ready, create a login on if you are a homeowner or login using your AEC number if you are a contractor and start your application. All items will be attached to the application, failure to attach documents will result in your application not being accepted. If you are having any issues during the application process please contact us for assistance.


  eTRAKIT Application


Timeline for Review:

Once a completed application and plan sets have been submitted, planning staff will review the site plan and determine if the structure and location is approved. Once they have approved the application, building staff will review your application and plan sets. Plan reviews are 1-2 days depending on the detail of the plans and the business demands. The applicant will be notified via email if plans are approved or if the plans need to be updated.

Required Documents:

Documents will be uploaded during the electronic application process, please upload PDFs to your application. If you wish to bring paper copies, please drop them off at City Hall Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. COVID restrictions may apply. 

Plan Set - Plans need to be drawn to scale, engineered plans are not needed unless there are structural changes. The building guides located under “Guides to help you plan your project” can be used to to guide your plans or can be used in lieu of plan sets for most situations. For more complicated projects, additional plans may be requested. 

  • Any added electrical or plumbing clearly identified on the plans. If there is a gas line being ran, they should include a gas line sizing calculation that includes the size of the gas line, the material of the gas line, the location where the gas line is being added to the existing line/ meter, the length of the new gas line, the inlet pressure/ water column pressure at the meter and the total BTU's of any appliances ran on that line.

  • The address is clearly labeled on the plans.

Plot Plan - This document will clearly show the dimensions of your project and its relationship to the existing buildings and property lines. The primary structure and any other structures must be on the plot plan. Plot plans can sometimes be found attached to the history record on the address at 

Subcontractor forms - Contractor that will be completing mechanical, plumbing or electrical work will need to be licensed with the City of Arvada and will complete and submit this form. They will then be linked to the permit, only a single permit will be issued for your project.


Fees are assessed based on the total value of the project. Below are the common fees for a Residential Exterior projects, however, each project is unique and may add additional fees. Please use the fee calculator to get an estimate on your project. The job valuation that you provide will be reviewed against the adopted fee schedule, if the fee schedule valuation results in a higher job value we will use the highest value.

Standard Fees

Only assessed if completed on Project:

Building Permits (Table 18-1)

Electrical Fee

Plan Review

Mechanical Fee

Use Tax

Plumbing Fee

 *Hot tubs and above ground pools are set at a flat permit fee of $50. Plan review fee and use tax will also be included.

Permit Issuance

When the permit is approved, the applicant will receive an email notifying them to pay fees and print the permit. The applicant is also responsible for printing an approved plan set and having both the approved plans and the permit on site at all times

Plan changes during construction

If your plan changes during construction, please submit updated plans to your permit at and send us an email notifying us that something has changed. We will review the changes, please note that additional fees may apply depending on the requests.


Inspections can be unique depending on the scope of your project, below is a list of common inspections for exterior structures projects. Please consult with the inspector for additional inspections that may be needed. If you are not completing any Electrical, Mechanical or plumbing then those related inspections will not be required.


  1. Footing/ Caisson

  2. Foundation wall/ Reinforcing

  3. UFER/ CEG

  4. Underground Plumbing

  5. Underground Electrical

  6. Gas Line

  7. Rough Mechanical

  8. Rough Electrical

  9. Rough Plumbing

  10. Rough Frame

  11. Insulation

  12. Structural Sheathing

  13. House Wrap

  14. Mid- Roof (Only if this is a special roof material such as a 1:12 or heavy tiles.)

  15. Final Plumbing

  16. Final Electrical

  17. Final Mechanical

  18. Final Structural

Closing the permit

After the final inspection has been completed, the permit will be updated with the status of FINALED. You do not need to send in additional information or obtain a Certificate of Occupancy or any other documentation. You can go to at any time and obtain a copy of your inspection record for your files.