Skip Main Navigation

Streets -signals -signs Ask Arvada

Noise Walls

A Noise Wall is a concrete and / or masonry structure that acts as a sound barrier between freeways and adjacent properties. The use of noise walls is determined prior to construction of a major State/Federal sponsored transportation project during the environmental process. Engineers analyze the expected impact of the transportation facility and evaluate alternatives to provide feasible solutions to benefit the community and natural environment. Noise walls are typically used for portions of high capacity freeways and some sections of commuter rail. The City of Arvada does not require or provide for the construction of noise walls for properties that abut local streets. Noise walls are costly to construct and maintain. Walls also impede traffic safety at intersections by blocking motorist views of cross-traffic. Fencing often provides adequate mitigation of traffic discomfort and addresses the greater inconvenience to residents, vehicle head lights. Please check fencing requirements prior to constructing a fence.

This information was brought to you by Public Works.

Check Your Request

Login to Ask Arvada

If you submitted a request, you'll get e-mail updates. You can login to Ask Arvada anytime to see the status of your request.

Public Safety and Emergencies

If you are experiencing a safety, medical, or other emergency, dial 911 on your phone. Do not submit a service request. For non-emergency public safety issues, call dispatch 720-898-6900.