Skip Main Navigation

Police Department Ask Arvada

Accident - What to do

Here are eight specific and immediate steps to take if you are in an auto accident.

1. Try to remain calm and thoughtful
2. If you are injured, stay in your car - unless it's dangerous to do so
3. Wait for the police and medical help
4. Inform the police about the accident for the official report
5. Record all witnesses' names, addresses, and phone numbers
6. Confirm whether you were wearing a seat belt
7. If you are injured, insist on being transported to a hospital in an ambulance
8. In all instances, obtain medial treatment immediately. Tell medical personnel about everything that you feel may be physically wrong

In an effort to make reporting minor accidents quicker, easier and more convenient for drivers the Arvada Police Department is referring citizens to the Colorado State Patrol's online accident reporting system.  As of July 1, 2009, the Arvada Police Department will stop taking over-the-counter accident reports on a walk-in basis.  Now, if a citizen is involved in a minor accident in the City of Arvada, they should visit Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles  within 30 days to file an accident report. 

This method of accident reporting may be used if the driver(s) of the vehicle(s) involved have been told by a law enforcement official to file a counter report; or, if an accident alert was in effect at the time the accident occurred; or if minor accident occurred on private property. The following conditions must be met to file an online accident report:
• Damage under $1,000
• No injuries
• Vehicles are drivable
• Parties have insurance
• No suspicion of alcohol/drug use by driver
The report can be filed using any computer with Internet access.  If the citizen does not have a home computer, most local libraries have free Internet access that can be used to file the report.  Also, consider the use of any number of "Internet cafés" in the area.

This information was brought to you by the department of Public Safety.

Check Your Request

Login to Ask Arvada

If you submitted a request, you'll get e-mail updates. You can login to Ask Arvada anytime to see the status of your request.

Public Safety and Emergencies

If you are experiencing a safety, medical, or other emergency, dial 911 on your phone. Do not submit a service request. For non-emergency public safety issues, call dispatch 720-898-6900.