Following the announcement by Arvada City Manager Mark Deven that he will be retiring in October 2022, the City of Arvada is beginning the process of recruiting for his replacement. The City will be conducting a national search to fill this very important position.
Reporting to the City Council, the City Manager provides strategic and forward-looking leadership to the entire City team within the five priority areas/work systems: Safe Community, Organizational and Service Effectiveness, Vibrant Community and Neighborhoods, Community and Economic Development and Infrastructure to ensure appropriate and effective resource allocation supporting the Council Strategic Plan. Included in the recruitment and selection process will be community engagement opportunities for our residents to provide feedback both online and in person.
As a first step in the community engagement part of the process, the City's engagement team has launched a survey on Speak Up Arvada, the City's community engagement platform. Residents are invited to weigh in on the characteristics they would like to see in the next City Manager and even to suggest interview questions. Visit Speakup.arvada.org/City-Manager and take the brief survey.
The application period is now open through June 3 and is posted as our featured position on our Employment Opportunities webpage.
The following is an approximate timeline for the recruitment and selection period and is subject to modification. More information will be coming soon.
- May 6 through June 3: Application period open. View the City Manager Recruitment Brochure
- June through July: Candidate finalists interviewed and posted on arvada.org, and top candidates presented to Council
- August: Public Open House Meet and Greet for candidates; Council selects new city manager
- Late September: New city manager start date
- Late September: Public meets new city manager
Community Engagement Opportunities
At this time, we have identified three opportunities for community engagement:
- Online via Speakup.arvada.org
- An in-person community Meet & Greet with finalists (TBA)
- An in-person introduction to the new city manager (TBA)
We will update this page with more details as they become available.
- by City Manager