The City of Arvada is committed to supporting businesses as they respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and recommends all Arvada businesses follow county health department guidelines. The City does not have any additional requirements.
- Jefferson County Public Health
- Tri County Public Health (serving Adams, Arapahoe and Douglas counties)
Temporary Modifications of Liquor License Premises
On-premise consumption licensed establishments in Arvada interested in expanding premises for consumption can apply for temporary modifications in order to pre-plan for temporary outdoor seating areas to support social distancing requirements while complying with all public health orders and other liquor laws and regulations. The City of Arvada is streamlining permitting and there are no City of Arvada fees for this application. More information can be found on the City of Arvada Liquor Licenses webpage.
Expansion of Outdoor Dining/Retail Areas onto Commercial/Private Property
Please provide a detailed layout showing any seating or table configurations, equipment, heaters, cooking equipment or other items and provide measurements showing clear aisle and exit opening or "door" widths with your tent permit application. Please note, propane heaters, cooking appliances, and electric generators are not allowed under tents.
Tents for Supplemental Dining and Retail Areas
Open sided tents, including 10 X 10 pop up tents, with a maximum aggregate size of 700 square feet are allowed to be grouped together as long as these groups are separated from each other by a minimum of 12' fire break/open space. Single open-sided tents or groups of tents over 700 square feet require permits. Tents or groups of tents with sides that are over 400 square feet (total) also require permits. Tents must be staked in accordance with the tent manufacturer's installation instructions; water barrels are not an approved method of securing tents.
The addition of or changes to tent installations may be requested by calling 720-898-7435 or via email at POD@arvada.org. Revised documentation describing/showing any proposed changes must also be provided. Businesses, commercial tenants and commercial property owners need to follow the additional requirements set forth below to ensure continued safety of any tents during winter weather conditions.
- Because tents are not designed to hold additional weight, they must be monitored during precipitation (snow, sleet, melt water) and any accumulating weight must be promptly removed. Various telescoping tools are available to assist with this task.
- No propane heaters are allowed under tents. Approved (remote) tent heaters are allowed if placed at least 10 feet distance away from the tent exits with ducts extending into the tent. Although heat may allow some precipitation to melt, monitoring for excessive accumulation of melt water is still required. Provide the make and model (or product specification sheet) and location of any proposed heaters, noting distances to tents, on the (revised) site plan.
- Propane tanks for heaters must be located 10 feet (500 gallons or less) or 25 feet (more than 500 gallons) away from any tent and they must be secured to prevent tipping or moving. Tanks must also be protected from damage (not placed in areas subject to impact by equipment or vehicles). Please provide the location of propane tanks, the tank size(s) and distances to tents on the (revised) site plan.
- Tents are also subject to failure during high wind events. Weather must be monitored and tents vacated or removed if the wind is expected to exceed the rating of the tent.
- Addition of tent sides, the addition of doors, or changes to door locations/exits must be noted on and submitted for review.
- If a tent is damaged or suspected of being damaged, it must not be occupied until assessed/repaired and deemed safe by the tent rental company or a Colorado licensed professional engineer. Damaged tents can also be removed or replaced. Please contact email@example.com if you are replacing a tent because of damage.
Tents that are approved for continued use or installation will be subject to periodic inspections by the Building Division and/or Fire Department. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in revocation of the temporary use permit and required removal of any tents.
If you have questions or need additional support, contact the Arvada Economic Development Association team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-898-7010.
- by City Manager