Skip Main Navigation
Stay-At-Home Order Extended Until April 26 A Stay-At-Home Order has been issued effective March 26 at 8...
Skip to Content

Right of Way

As of Monday, March 23, all City facilities will continue to remain closed to the public through Sunday, April 12, 2020. This closure includes, but is not limited to, public business and activities at City Hall, including in-person right-of-way (ROW) permitting and contractor licensing services. Online permitting of dry utility and ROW yard permits through will be available during this time.  Other ROW permit applications can be made by email at  We will process permit applications as quickly as possible however, due to reduced staffing, delays should be expected.

Who Needs a Right of Way Permit

General public improvements consisting of construction, reconstruction and remodeling of storm drains, irrigation ditches, fire lines, sewer and water lines, sewer and water mains, curb and gutters, sidewalks, streets, potholing, boring, traffic-control devices and similar improvements which are constructed on public rights of way, easements and other public property, and utility services on private property between the property line and the building require a permit to be issued to a licensed contractor.

Permit Issuance

All permits will receive a review by the Engineering Division and will be processed within 24 hours upon a complete submittal. Permits that are complex or include multiple locations may require up to 48 hours for processing. Permit applications and supporting documents including traffic control plans, can be dropped off at Engineering, second floor of City Hall, 8101 Ralston Road. Permits other than ROWYARD can be emailed to ROWYARD permits for new utility services and repairs within a residential or commercial yard can be submitted online at or dropped off at the Engineering counter, these can not be emailed.

Sales and Use Tax

In order to efficiently serve our community the City of Arvada Engineering Division started collecting use tax on every Right-of-Way (ROW) permit at the time of permit issuance in 2019. This change will simplify the tax payment process for both contractors and the City as taxes will be collected up front instead of after the project has been completed. See more information regarding sales and use tax under resources.

Licensing Requirements for Right of Way Work

Contractors must have a current municipal contractor license and be in good standing with the City of Arvada to pull a permit. 


The Colorado 811 locate confirmation number must be entered on all applications.

All utilities must be identified through the locate process prior to excavation of soil, including boring, can take place. In the event, that a City Utility cannot be located within the specified boundaries of the request area; the contractor/excavator will be notified by e-mail and/or phone of a mandatory on-site meeting to discuss alternate measures for protecting the utility. No excavation of soil, including boring, is permitted until the on-site meet has taken place and all utilities have been located. Failure to comply will be deemed unreasonable action by the contractor/excavator and may result in the contractor/excavator assuming all liability for damages to such utilities.

  • Red - Electric power lines, cables, conduit, and lighting cables
  • Blue - Drinking water
  • Orange - Telecommunication, alarm or signal lines, cables, or conduit
  • Purple - Reclaimed water, irrigation, and slurry lines
  • Yellow - Natural gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other gaseous, or flammable material
  • Pink - Temporary survey markings, unknown/unidentified facilities
  • Green - Sewers and drain lines
  • White - Proposed excavation limits or route


Inspections are completed on a daily basis Monday through Friday between 8am and 3pm, and must be scheduled online until 6 a.m. of the desired day of inspection. To schedule inspections please visit and login with your Arvada Contractor license (AEC #) and password.

Special Inspection Requests:

Work that will be inspected during non-city business hours needs to be requested and approved. Please send your inspection requests to at least 1 business day prior to your desired work date.

Contact Information

  •  Main Telephone Number:
  •  Street Address:
    8101 Ralston Road, Arvada, CO 80002