Skip Main Navigation
Stay-At-Home Order, Facilities Closure Extended Until April 26 City's Emergency Declaration extended through April...
Skip to Content

Engineering Permits and Inspections

As of Monday, March 23, all City facilities will continue to remain closed to the public through Sunday, April 26, 2020. This closure includes, but is not limited to, public business and activities at City Hall, including in-person right-of-way (ROW) permitting and contractor licensing services. Online permitting of dry utility and ROW yard permits through will be available during this time. Other ROW permit applications can be made by email at We will process permit applications as quickly as possible however, due to reduced staffing, delays should be expected.

Permits are required for construction within any public street or easement and require a minimum of 24 hours for processing. Permits that are complex or include multiple locations may require up to 48 hours for processing. 

You must have a current municipal contractor license and be in good standing with the City of Arvada to pull a permit.  

The Engineering Division has four types of right of way permits. These are: 

  • ROWYARD Permit - A ROWYARD permit is required for water and sewer installs or repairs in yard only
  • Development Public Improvement Permits - A public improvement permit is for all other work in the right of way or easement. These include, asphalt patch, flatwork, paving, milling, sewer service repair in the street, traffic control devices, wet tap and wet utility. Traffic Control contractor that is setting up traffic control only must submit a Traffic Control Contractor Form.
  • Dry Utility Permit - A dry utility permit is required for all contractors doing work for Xcel, Qwest, and cable companies in Arvada. 
  • Traffic Control Access Only - This permit is for contractors doing landscape, tree trimming, fencing, etc. that need traffic control set up in the City of Arvada street but not disturbing right of way.

How to Submit Permits

Development Public Improvement

A fully completed permit application and supporting documents including traffic control plans, can be dropped off at Engineering, second floor of City Hall, 8101 Ralston Road. Complete applications and traffic control plans for these types of  permits can also be emailed to The applicant will be notified as soon as the permit is ready to be signed and paid for. 


These permits can be submitted and paid for by credit card online by logging into your contractor account at using your AEC# and password (AEC# is your username). These can also be submitted and paid for at Engineering, second floor of City Hall, 8101 Ralston Road. If paying by cash or check you will need to pay in person during normal business hours at the Engineering counter. These can not be applied for by email.

Dry Utility 

These permits must be submitted online at

Scheduling an Inspection

Scheduling for right of way inspections must be done online. This can be completed at any time up until 6am on the day of requested inspection by logging into your contractor account. Please visit