Skip Main Navigation
COVID-19 Updates on response and recovery, including public health vaccine resources are available...
Skip to Content

Step 4: Construction

Site Disturbance Permit

Before grading or performing other earth disturbances, a Site Disturbance Permit must be issued.

  • Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and Stormwater Management Plan:   It is preferred that these plans be submitted as part of the Site Plan or Final Development Plan process. However, if construction is ready to begin and these documents have not yet been submitted, you may submit these documents within 30 days.

  • Fees and Escrow: Submittal of both an escrow and fee are also required prior to Permit issuance.

Once a Site Disturbance Permit is issued, site stormwater best management practices (BMPs) that were approved in the plans must be installed.  

  • Before Construction: Arvada must conduct an initial inspection of the installation of BMPs before grading begins.

  • During Construction:  Engineering staff will perform routine oversight inspections of site BMPs to ensure the site continues to comply with the Site Disturbance Permit. Results of the City’s Oversight Inspections can be viewed through eTRAKiT.

Additional Colorado and Federal Permits

Projects that disturb 1+ acre (or less than 1 acre if part of a larger common plan of development) must obtain a State Stormwater Discharges Associated With Construction Activity General Permit from the State of Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Please visit for an introduction to Water Quality Construction Permits.

Additional Permits that may be required for construction may include Colorado’s Construction Dewatering Permit should groundwater be anticipated, and the federal  Army Corps of Engineers 404 Permit should there be activity within the floodway.

Development permits

A Master Development permit (DEV) and sub permits (see below) linked to this master permit are required for work in the right of way or easement for any development in the City of Arvada that has been approved by the Development Engineer for construction and we have signed construction plans and an escrow or LOC for the public improvements.

The sub permits types are:

  • WUTL - Wet Utilities including subgrade/subbase and degradation fees if applicable
  • WTAP - Wet Tap
  • FWC - Flatwork
  • APLT - Asphalt Patching
  • PAVE - Paving/Overlay
  • TRF - Traffic Control Devices including public signs, striping, pavement markings, etc.
  • MILL - Milling

Applying for Your Permit

Change to Public Improvement Escrow Requirement - Effective May 12, 2020: Developers are required to provide an escrow in the amount of 100% of the estimated cost of public improvements via cash or letter of credit. When the developer successfully completes the public improvements and warranty is initiated, the City will retain 20% of the certified construction costs and release the remainder of the escrow back to the developer. The City will retain 20% of the certified construction cost of public improvements to ensure that the public improvement meets the City standards through the warranty period.

Requirements for contractor licensing and escrow for public improvements and street restoration in developments are located in the City of Arvada Municipal Code

  • Licensing:  Prior to obtaining a Development permit a City of Arvada Municipal license must be obtained and current with the Engineering Department. A current license and sub permit is required for all contractors working on the development.

  • Escrow:  An escrow of $50,000/$100,000 in the form of cash or letter of credit must be provided prior to the issuance of any permits for construction of public improvements. Bonds cannot be accepted. Any application submitted after May 12, 2020 must meet the escrow requirements stated above.

  • Traffic Control Plan: Permit(s) applications must be accompanied by a traffic control plan where necessary to complete the work.

  • If CDOT permits are required, these must be submitted with your application.

Submit Application Online

Submit Application  In-Person

Applications may be submitted via email to

Applications may be submitted to the Engineering Counter at City Hall during business hours.

Developers/general contractors are notified via email when development permits are approved and ready for payment online through Once permit is paid for it will go into pending status until your sub contractor has been added to the permit.  

Pre-Construction Meeting

Before permits will be issued:

  • All interested parties must attend a pre-construction meeting. This ensures you have the information on how the City will interact with your contractors to make the inspections and warranty process run smoothly. The development engineer will schedule this for you once we have received all necessary items.

After Receiving Your Permit

Before construction can begin:

  • Inspections must be scheduled online through up until 6am on the requested day.
For additional information on public improvement procedures, permits and licensing please visit

Building Permits

All public improvements must be completed before a building permit is issued.  The Building Division provides building permit applications, plan review, and inspection services for commercial and residential construction throughout the City.  Permits can only be issued after your final plans are approved and public improvements are constructed, inspected and placed under initial warranty acceptance.  For additional information on building permitting, please visit

Online (eTRAKiT)


Inspections scheduled online at

Call the building division at 720-898-7630. Inspections confirmed before 6:00 a.m. will be performed the same day.

When to Apply

  • You may submit your building application following development plan approval or concurrently with your development application .  If you submit concurrently and your development plan is not approved, you will need to pay applicable fees when re-submitting.

  • Building permit applications and plans should not be submitted before the 2nd City Review of your final plans.  Changes to your final plans may impact the final building design.

Certificate of Occupancy

Upon completion of the construction project, final inspection approvals are required before a  Certificate of Occupancy (C.O) or a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (T.C.O) may be issued and the building occupied. The approvals necessary may include all or part of the following: building codes approval, fire code approval, planning and zoning approval, development agreement, city engineering standards, utility commitments for water and sewer, liquor license approval, health department approval, approvals under state and federal laws and other requirements as applicable to your project. Arvada Municipal Code requires a C.O or T.C.O in order for a building to be occupied.  It is the responsibility of the developer to replace any broken, cracked, settled, raised, etc. curb, gutter and sidewalk that fronts a lot prior to obtaining a C.O.  This includes damage existing prior to and following construction.