Skip Main Navigation
Skip to Content

Short Term Rentals

On August 3, 2020, the City Council approved an ordinance to allow for the operation of short term rentals within the City of Arvada.  The ordinance became effective on October 31, 2020.

Short term rental photo














What is a short term rental?

A short term rental is defined in the City's Land Development Code as a dwelling, portion of a dwelling or accessory dwelling unit (ADU) rented to transient guests for a period of less than 30 consecutive days.


Do I need a license to operate a short term rental?

If you rent a home, portion of a home or an accessory dwelling unit to guests for between 1 and 29 days at one time, a short term rental license is required.

If you only rent for 30 or more days at a time, then no license is required.


How many short term rentals can one owner operate and how many days a year can it be rented?

One owner may operate up to three short term rental properties within the City.  However, only one reservation is allowed per property at a time. A short term rental can only be occupied for up to 240 days per calendar year. At the end of each year, a  Short Term Rental Log will need to be submitted to the City verifying the number of days that a rental was occupied.


Who can operate a short term rental?

A property owner or a long term renter may operate a short term rental.  If you are not the property owner, you will need to provide written permission from the property owner to operate a short term rental.


What do I need to know before applying for a short term rental?

You will need to provide the following information as part of your application for a short term rental license:

  • Short term rental address.
  • If you are not the property owner, you will need to provide written authorization of the property owner to operate a short term rental.
  • The name and phone number of a local contact person, if not the owner, who can handle issues that may arise regarding the short term rental.  This person must be available to address issues 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and be able to physically reach the rental within one hour of contact, if necessary.
  • A site plan that identifies the location of the short term rental on the property, or a floor plan that identifies the room or rooms within a home that will be used as part of the short term rental. (Not required if the request is for a full house or ADU rental.)
  • Indicate that one additional off-street parking space is provided for the short term rental. (Not required if the request is for a full house or ADU rental.)

Prior to issuance of a permit, you will need to:

  • Indicate that the following safety items will be provided within the short term rental: operational smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and fire extinguisher.
  • Ensure that a brochure, provided by the City and detailing relevant local ordinances, rules and regulations, be provided within the short term rental (See Resources below).
  • Ensure that a brochure, created by the short term rental operator, be provided in the rental that identifies the name, email address and phone number of the local contact, as well as other relevant information regarding the rental (See Resources below for an example brochure).
  • Acknowledge that the total number of unrelated persons that may occupy a short term rental is limited by City Code.
  • Acknowledge that the short term rental shall not be used for commercial or large social events or gatherings, such as weddings.
  • Acknowledge that the short term rental will comply with all applicable City Code provisions and state and federal law, including, but not limited to, Chapter 18, Buildings and Building Regulations, Chapter 38, Article III, Nuisances, and Chapter 98, Taxation.

Failure to comply with these requirements and the requirements of the short term rental ordinance, Section 3-1-5-3 of the Land Development Code, may result in fines and/or revocation of a license. 


Do I also need a business license?

Yes, you will need to apply for a business license as well as a short term rental license. The business license can be submitted using MUNIRevs, our business licensing and online tax software.   Launch Business License


How do I apply for a short term rental license?

You can apply for a license through the City's electronic application system by using the link below:

  eTRAKIT Application


If you are using eTRAKiT for the first time, you will need to create an account.