Improvements in Service Delivery and Return-on-Investment
The Utilities Department has implemented approximately 35 iPads which are being used throughout the city to streamline meter installs, provide access to make up to date map edits for improved locate services and providing productivity efficiencies we all benefit from. This initial implementation in the City could provide an overall cost savings of almost $275,000 in 3 years.
Elimination of Paper Maps
- Annually the Utilities Department would print a set of maps for each vehicle. There are 3 types of maps (water, storm, sewer) and 56 vehicles.
- The approximate cost of printing each map is about $400.
- The maps are now all combined into one up-to-date map viewable on the iPad.
- Beyond the annual cost savings of at least $67,200, this provides for an easier platform to view all map types in one interface with up-to-date data.
Efficiencies in Accessing Info
- Maps, locate calls and forms are all accessible directly on the iPad, and retrieved electronically, this minimizes the time to drive to and from facilities to receive locate request information as well as reduces duplication in time transferring handwritten notes into the system.
- This efficiency is estimated to provide an approximate savings of 2 hours/day in a five day work week across all team members – for an overall annual savings of 520 man hours which is reducing call resolution time and maintaining systems.
Improved Productivity Efficiencies
- Approximately $18,200 saved annually in drive time
- Approximately $26,350 saved annually in the time spent completing locate requests
- Approximately $18,200 saved annually in the reduction of duplication for documentation and map updates
Benefits Throughout the City
- The use of up-to-date electronic maps allows for locate requests to be completed in less time and allows for an electronic copy of the locate map to be sent to the sender. This reduces the repair calls as a result of unclear locate information.
- Meter install requestors are now able to receive an electronic copy of the location information and installation guidance, allowing some contractors to be able to install meters on the same day.
- Information is accessible electronically by other departments, such as the permits department, expediting requests for information.
Return on Investment
|Cash flow and ROI statement|
|Reduction in cost to print maps||$67,200||$67,200||$67,200|
|Improved productivity efficiences:|
|Elimination of laptops for TrackIT users||19,971|
|Total annual benefits||$51,346||$129,950||$129,950||$129,950|
|Total benefits realized||$38,510||$110,458||$116,955||$123,453|
|Costs||Year 0||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Purchase of iPad devices (approximate cost for each iPad $747)||$26,145||$0||$0||$0|
|Annual cost of data plan||21,000||21,000||21,000||21,000|
|Ongoing support costs (approx 24 hours/year @$50/hr)||1,200||1,200||1,200||1,200|
|Benefits||Year 0||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Cumulative benefit flow||(9,836)||78,422||173,177||274,430|
|Cost benefit flow||Year 0||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Initial and ongoing costs||$48,345||$22,200||$22,200||$22,200|
|Annual benefits realized||38,510||110,458||116,955||123,453|
|Cost benefit flow||(9,836)||88,258||94,755||101,253|
|Total cumulative cost benefit flow||(9,836)||78,422||173,177||274,430|
|Cost of capital||15%|
|Net present value||$205,134|
|Return on investment||157%||245%||305%|
|Payback (in years)||0.11|
Disclaimers and Notices
This article is an independent publication that was solely authored by representatives of the City of Arvada and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Apple Inc.
iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- by Utilities