With the first year of construction complete, the City of Arvada and its contractor, SEMA Construction Inc., look forward to the continued progress on the W. 72nd Avenue Bond Project.
“Since kicking off our construction operations in 2022, crews have worked safely and diligently to ensure the first phase of work is completed,” said Eric Petrie, SEMA project manager. “We’re excited to complete this milestone and push the project forward.”
As construction continues in 2023, travelers should be prepared for the following major project milestones and impacts:
- Construction on the northside of W. 72nd Avenue will continue through the year, including removals, installing new drainage, and preparing for the new roadway pavement and sidewalk.
- New sidewalk is anticipated to be complete in late summer 2023.
- The closure of Quail Street, north of W. 72nd Avenue will take place this spring.
- Simms Street, north of W. 72nd Avenue, will close again for final construction, including permanent paving, curb and gutter, and sidewalk operations.
- Single-lane road closures will take place on Oak Street this spring.
- Asphalt paving on the northside of W. 72nd Avenue is expected to be done in late fall 2023.
- Miscellaneous landscaping and irrigation work on the corridor is expected in 2023.
“We know the project has inconvenienced the community,” said Britton Thomas, P.E., City of Arvada project manager. “But thanks to the patience and cooperation of our W. 72nd Avenue neighbors and businesses, the project is progressing, which means we’re closer to providing a new W. 72nd Avenue.”
Curb and gutter, sidewalk and roadway pavement removals on the northside of W. 72nd Avenue have started now that the construction work zone has shifted. Construction activities and the new traffic configuration in this area will be in place for several months.
Please note that construction activities are weather-dependent and subject to change, which may impact schedule and construction duration.
About the project:
In the November 2018 election, Arvada residents approved Ballot Issue 3F for a bond issue to fund improvements to W. 72nd Avenue. The major east-west, regional corridor for Arvada serves nearly 21,000 vehicle trips each day, providing access to Westminster and Golden/Jefferson County.
As part of the project, W. 72nd Avenue will be widened between Kipling and Simms streets to match the roadway east of Kipling Street, eliminating the bottleneck. In addition, an underpass at the Union Pacific Railroad crossing near Oak Street will be built to eliminate traffic backups. Bike lanes and sidewalks will be added, as well as upgraded signalized intersections and significant improvements to the drainage system along W. 72nd Avenue.
Phase two of construction is currently underway and includes the work scheduled for 2023. Phase three will be scheduled for the future upon the completion of phase two. The third phase will include construction of the railroad underpass and will take several years to complete. Coordination with UPRR is ongoing and a timeline for this work will be provided at a later date. Visit the project page and sign up for email updates for additional information in the future.
Project contact information:
- by City Manager