On April 15, Jefferson County issued a statement regarding elevated lead in drinking water at the Jeffco Head Start building, 5150 Allison Street in Arvada. This issue is isolated to plumbing within the building, which was built in 1952.
- Arvada’s water is absolutely safe.
- Based on extensive and continuous testing (2002-2016 Water Test Results below) we have concluded that the elevated lead levels are confined to the Head Start building and possibly even to the sink where the initial sample was taken.
- We are taking this situation very seriously and conducted extensive testing in collaboration with the Jefferson County Department of Health on April 15. A total of 60 samples were taken throughout the building. In addition, Arvada water quality staff took samples in the vicinity as well as on pipelines that serve Lawrence Elementary, Arvada K8, Secrest, Jefferson County Head Start, Two Roads Charter School, and Foster Elementary (see Test Results April 15, 2016 & Other School Sites below).
- While the EPA’s Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for lead in drinking water is .015 mg/L, routine testing of Arvada’s water regularly shows results less than .0005 mg/L which translates to “Below Detection Limits”—an amount so small it can’t be detected with the best available technology.
- There are NO main lines in Arvada’s system with lead components.
- There are NO known service lines within Arvada’s system with lead components.
- It is possible that in some older buildings such as the Head Start building, some lead components may be present. However, Arvada maintains pH levels to prevent water from being corrosive, meaning even if it came into contact with lead, the lead will not cause elevated levels in the water.
Test Results April 15, 2016 & Other School Sites
These samples were collected from fire hydrants or sample hydrants within Arvada's treated water distribution system and analyzed for lead.
|Sample Location||Fire Hydrant #||Sample Represents:||pH||Temperature °C||Conductivity µS/cm||Lead mg/L|
|58th Ave & Queen St||FH-98-24||58th & Routt Entry Point||7.85||14.6||159.3||<.001|
|67th Pl & Oak St||FH-78-29||68th & Oak Entry Point||7.78||12.9||133.5||<.001|
|65th Ave & Oberon Rd||FH-67-10A||65th & Oberon Entry Point||7.88||8.9||133.1||<.001|
|57th Ave & Carr St||FH-43-20||Upstream Arvada K-8||7.78||11.2||132.7||<.001|
|57th Ave & Balsam St||FH-43-18||Downstream Arvada K-8||7.69||11||134.9||<.001|
|Grandview Ave & Ammons St||FH-43-22A||Upstream Lawrence Elementary||7.67||11.7||134.6||<.001|
|Grandview Ave & Zephyr St||FH-43-27||Downstream Lawrence Elementary||7.66||13.2||135.4||<.001|
|57th Ave & Yarrow St||Sample Hydrant||East supply to Lawrence Elementary||7.69||12.8||135.4||<.001|
|52nd Ave & Allison St||FH-41-1||Upstream Jeffco Head Start||7.71||13||135.1||<.001|
|52nd Ave & Yarrow St||FH-41-2||Downstream Jeffco Head Start||7.74||13.3||136.4||<.001|
|53rd Pl & Reed St||FH-31-38||Meter entry for Foster Elementary||7.71||15||132.9||<.001|
|64th Ave & Pierce St||FH-33-2||66th & Pierce Entry Point and Secrest Elementary||7.68||9.7||140.6||<.001|
|70th Ave & Pierce St||FH-35-10A||Hackberry Tank and Two Roads Charter School||7.72||9.4||134.7||<.001|
2002-2016 Water Test Results
Arvada’s Water Quality Division continuously tests our drinking water. The following chart provides Water Quality results from samples taken throughout Arvada between 2002 and 2016.
|Sample Site||Number of Samples||Number Below Detection Limits||Number Above Detection Limits||Max Above Detection Limits|
|5035 W 65th Ave||50||49||1||0.001 mg/L|
|53rd Ave & Marshall St||50||48||2||0.002 mg/L|
|5357 Lynn Dr||50||47||3||0.002 mg/L|
|69th Ave & Owens St||50||48||2||0.004 mg/L|
11325 Allendale Drive
|71st Ave & Secrest Ct||50||49||1||0.002 mg/L|
|82nd Ave & Swadley St||50||49||1||0.006 mg/L|
Webster Way and Upham St
|72nd Ave & Braun Way||13||13||0||n/a|
|6680 Westwoods Cir||13||13||0||n/a|
Total for Distribution
NOTE: Federal Maximum Contaminant Level for Lead is .015 mg/L. Those samples “above detection limits” are still far below the Maximum.
NOTE: Sampling at 72nd Ave & Braun Way, and 6680 Westwoods Cir, began in 2013 after new development.
For more information, please contact Cliff Deeds, Water Utilities Manager, at 303-598-9042 or email@example.com.
- by City Manager