Flood Protection Information

Is your property in a floodplain? If you have questions regarding Arvada's floodplains, you can contact the City's Engineering Division at (720) 898-7640. Also, homeowners, realtors, lenders, and insurance agents can obtain photocopies of floodplain maps and Elevation Certificates at Arvada City Hall, Engineering Division, 2nd Floor, 8101 Ralston Road.

Or for the do-it-yourself types, FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) floodplain maps can be accessed through the FEMA website (see related links). From the Map Store, click on "Map Search". You can then find the appropriate floodplain map by entering the address of the property. From the Search Results Page, the map can be ordered or viewed on-line. To view on-line, click the view button on the right side of page and then on "Make a FIRMette" (a small Flood Insurance Rate Map). Next, drag the green box to the desired area of the map. Then click on "Create a FIRMette". This FIRMette can then be saved to your computer. For additional help, contact a FEMA Map Service Center Representative at (800) 358-9616.

Drainage Maintenance: Each spring and after major rainfalls, the City inspects all of Arvada's creeks and drainageways. Any accumulated debris is removed to keep the channels clear. If you see debris or other problems in the creeks, drainageways, inlets or storm sewer please contact the City Streets Division at (720) 898-7720. Maintenance of irrigation canals is the responsibility of the canal company.

What else is being done? Each year, the City works to reduce Arvada's flooding problems by building and maintaining storm drainage projects, implementing its master drainage plans, and enforcing drainage standards on new developments. However, since all of these measures cannot fully protect against the unpredictability of nature, the City, with the cooperation of the Urban Drainage and Flood Control District, has prepared a Flood Protection Handbook for Arvada residents. This handbook provides important flood protection tips on preparing for a flood, and what to do during and after a flood. You can obtain a free handbook at the City of Arvada's Engineering Division, 2nd Floor of City Hall, or in the first floor lobby kiosk, at 8101 Ralston Road.  

Floodplain Permits: If your property is in a floodplain, along with a building permit, a separate floodplain permit may be required in order to build on, alter, regrade, or fill on your property. Always check with the Engineering Division prior to construction.  This permit may be required to ensure that your project does not cause problems on other properties and can be obtained at the Engineering Division.  If you have any questions please contact the Engineering Division at 720-898-7640.

Technical Assistance:  Engineering staff is available to meet with homeowners and property owners to assess the flooding risk for specific properties.  If available, historic flooding as well as location specific information will be provided.  Engineering staff is available to make site visits to properties to address flooding, drainage and sewer problems and answer any questions related to these issues.  Contact the Engineering Division at 720-898-7640 for these services.
Page last updated