The City of Arvada has experienced a significant growth in the number of residents over age 60. Senior citizens have public safety concerns which differ from other segments of the population.
In recognition of this fact, senior citizens in Arvada have a police officer assigned to their specific needs. This officer's position was created to identify and provide for the concerns, problems, and service needs of older adults.
This officer's role is three-fold:
- to educate seniors in crime trends and crime prevention,
- to investigate crimes or suspicious activity involving seniors,
- to provide referral assistance for seniors for a variety of needs.
Several programs may be of particular interest to seniors. These include
- Lockbox Program: This is a program for seniors and at-risk adults and is free. It provides police, fire, and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) responders with a key to the home in case of emergencies when the homeowner cannot respond to the door.
- CASE: Power Against Fraud is presented by the Jefferson County District Attorney's office with information on ID theft, fraud, scams, and cons
- Survive-2-95: a senior safe driving presentation helping seniors with awareness information
- Colorado Life Trak: wrist transmitters are available to Alzheimer's patients for tracking in case the person becomes lost
- Scam Hotline: Listen to a recorded message concerning the most recent scams. Call 24 hours a day/7 days-a-week at 720-898-6739
- Other presentations include senior safety and trust issues, door-to-door cons, and the latest scams and frauds
Our Senior Liaison Officer is Officer Tom VanderVeen. You can reach him at 720-898-6724 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also find Officer VanderVeen at the North Jeffco Senior Recreation Center every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Officer VanderVeen can also receive correspondence at the Arvada Police Department Criminal Investigations Bureau 8101 Ralston Road Arvada, Colorado 80002.
On the right side of this page are links to educational brochures directed specifically to senior citizens. We encourage you to explore the variety of information that has been provided.