Skip Main Navigation
Skip to Content

Is Your Property in a Floodplain?

  • Published
  • Updated
  • by Public Works

Arvada has many homes that are located in the 100-year floodplain, with the majority of those homes being constructed prior to the identification and mapping of floodplains.  Flood insurance may be required by your mortgage company and is available through the National Flood Insurance Program. This Federal program provides flood insurance to property owners in exchange for the careful management of flood-prone areas by local communities.  Regular homeowner’s insurance does not cover damage caused by floods and there is a 26% chance of a flood occurring during a 30 year mortgage if your property is in a floodplain.

Is your property in a floodplain? Check the Interactive Floodplain Map .  If you have questions regarding Arvada's floodplains, you can contact the City's Engineering Division at (720) 898-7640. Also, homeowners, realtors, lenders, and insurance agents can obtain photocopies of floodplain maps and Elevation Certificates at Arvada City Hall, Engineering Division, 2nd Floor, 8101 Ralston Road.

What else is being done? Each year, the City works to reduce Arvada's flooding problems by building and maintaining storm drainage projects, implementing its master drainage plans, and enforcing drainage standards on new developments. However, since all of these measures cannot fully protect against the unpredictability of nature, the City, with the cooperation of the Urban Drainage and Flood Control District, has prepared a Flood Protection Handbook providing important flood protection tips on preparing for a flood, and what to do during and after a flood. You can obtain a free handbook at Arvada City Hall or download the document at the right.

Floodplain Permits: If your property is in a floodplain, in addition to a building permit, a separate floodplain permit may be required in order to build on, alter, regrade, or fill on your property. Always check with the Engineering Division prior to construction.  This permit may be required to ensure that your project does not cause problems on other properties and can be obtained at the Engineering Division.  If you have any questions please contact the Engineering Division at 720-898-7640.

Technical Assistance:  Engineering staff is available to meet with homeowners and property owners to assess the flooding risk for specific properties.  If available, historic flooding as well as location specific information will be provided.  Engineering staff is available to make site visits to properties to address flooding, drainage and sewer problems and answer any questions related to these issues.  Contact the Engineering Division at 720-898-7640 for these services.