Let's get outside! The City is pursuing a Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) “Inspire” Initiative planning grant in partnership with Jeffco Public Schools to benefit park and schoolyard upgrades at Fitzmorris Park and Fitzmorris Elementary School.
The grant seeks to inspire Colorado youth and families to enjoy, appreciate, and protect Colorado's great outdoors.
After Pool and Rec Center outreach in early 2016, additional park designs reflecting public comments were created to illustrate the park and schoolyard’s potential as a place to recreate, learn, explore, and grow. These designs were the basis for gathering Jeffco Public Schools and Be Wild, Jeffco support to participate in the GOCO grant.
Through the first half of 2017, Fitzmorris was the center of a design and prioritization process led by you - the community - to help youth, families, and all residents get outdoors and experience more personal connections to nature. We compiled your feedback to develop a master plan representing the ideal environment to connect youth to the outdoors at your neighborhood park.
The concept below represents improvements desired by the community and possible with a $1M grant request. Download conceptual drawings here. Grant funding is competitive and is not guaranteed.
- January - June 2017: Community engagement, Public outreach, Outdoor Youth Leadership events. Compile results, develop programs, master plan and costs for the Implementation Grant.
- July 2017: GOCO Implementation Grant due
- Devember 2017: Grant awards
If implementation grant is awarded:
- December 2020: Implementation complete
Public Events were held on the following dates:
Tuesday January 26, 2016
Tuesday February 21, 2017
Tuesday April 18, 2017
Wednesday April 26, 2017
Park Event will be hosted by Be Wild, Jeffco Youth Outdoor Leaders: 11:00 - 1:00 p.m. June 4, 2017 at Fitzmorris Park
- Elementary, Middle, and High School Students participated in the Outdoor Leadership Program in 2017, made possible through the GOCO Inspire planning grant.
City of Arvada Parks, Golf and Hospitality: 720-898-7400