Traffic and Transportation Engineering

Traffic and Transportation 

A part of the Engineering Division, City of Arvada’s Traffic and Transportation operations installs, operates and maintains street markings, signs, traffic signals and other vehicular and pedestrian traffic control devices on city-owned roadways. 

Neighborhood Traffic Control

Traffic and transportation works very closely with the Police Department, which enforces the laws and regulations relating to traffic and take traffic concerns seriously. Speed limits for local roadways are generally set at 30 miles per hour which is consistent with the Model Traffic Code for Colorado. Speed limits on other roadways are established based on traffic engineering surveys. These surveys include an analysis of roadway conditions, accident records, and speed studies. Traffic control devices are effective, but only when drivers choose to obey them. If you would like to speak with a Police Officer about your concerns regarding neighborhood speeding, please call dispatch at 720-898-6900. If you would like to talk to a traffic engineer regarding signal and signs please call 720-898-7740.

Traffic SignalsTraffic Signal

We maintain and operate more than 100 traffic signals and nearly 120 school zone flashers throughout the City. 

New traffic signals are installed in the City based upon criteria that was established nationally and adopted by the City in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The criteria include minimum vehicular and/or pedestrian volumes and traffic crash experience. The City reviews intersections that might warrant the installation of a traffic signal every year. If intersections meet the criteria for a signal, it is then prioritized for future construction.

To report traffic signal concerns and problems on city-owned roadways, please submit a service request or contact the Engineering Division at 720-898-7740 during business hours. To report a malfunctioning traffic signal after normal business hours call the Arvada police department at 720-898-6900.

The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) maintains and operates traffic signals on State-owned roadways including:

  • Wadsworth Boulevard from I-70 to 88th Avenue and Wadsworth Bypass (Colorado State Highway 121)
  • Sheridan Boulevard from I-70 to 88th Avenue (Colorado State Highway 95)
  • Ward Road from I-70 to W. 64th Avenue (Colorado State Highway 72)
  • W. 64th Avenue from Ward Road to Indiana (Colorado State Highway 72)
  • Indiana Street from W. 64th Avenue to W. 86th Parkway (Colorado State Highway 72)
  • Colorado State Highway 72 from Indiana west through Coal Creek Canyon
  • Colorado State Highway 93

To report a problem on State-owned signals please call CDOT at 303-757-9011

Traffic Signs

Arvada's Traffic and Transportation operations section evaluates roadway features and operational safety when installing street signs and markings. The City of Arvada, like all other cities, uses a fast drying latex based paint that is friendly to the enviornment and is heated prior to application.If you should encounter street painting equipment please do not drive on or cross over freshly painted lines. 

Abandoned, defaced, graffiti, damaged, missing, signs in need of repair or to those that need to be picked up from a private resident can be reported to the City's Engineering Division by submitting a service request or calling 720-898-7740.

Missing "Stop" signs should be reported immediately to 720-898-7740 or 720-898-6900.


Page last updated