Skip Main Navigation
Skip to Content

Renewing an Expiring Passport

  • Published
  • Updated
  • by City Manager

You can renew by mail if: 

  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; AND
  • Your most recent passport was issued within the past 15 years;
  • You were over age 16 when it was issued;
  • You still have the same name or can legally document your name change (i.e. certified marriage certificate or court order to change your name).

You must complete Form DS-82 Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail - use the “Application Wizard” link provided under Passport Resources or pick up the form at the City Clerk’s Office. Review the instruction page on the form for detailed information. A renewal is handled by the applicant. You do not need to go to an acceptance facility.

Send the application, your previous passport, any supporting documentation if your name has changed, one new passport photo, and the current U.S. Department of State fee to:

Routine service (6 weeks processing time):

National Passport Processing Center

P.O. Box 90155

Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited service (approximately 3 weeks processing time and requiring an additional $60 fee): 

National Passport Processing Center

P.O. Box 90955

Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955


We recommend you use a traceable mailing method when sending in your renewal application.