Skip Main Navigation

Traffic And Transportation Ask Arvada


There are two active railroad lines through Arvada. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) line is located south of Ralston Road and the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) runs diagonally through the northern part of the city. The City of Arvada does not regulate the frequency of trains or the volume of train horns in our city. Matters concerning trains are regulated by the Federal Railroad Administration at The City currently has four "Quiet Zones" at the Pierce St., Kipling St., W 72nd Ave. and Simms St. crossings on the UPRR tracks. Quiet Zones are designed so that train operators are not required to use the train horn when approaching the crossing. However, they are not required to be silent at these crossings; quiet zones at crossings are allowed because of the improvements made to the crossings, but there is no way to fully eliminate the horns. The City is currently working on four additional Quiet Zones at Lamar St., Olde Wadsworth, Carr St. and W. 66th Ave. on the UPRR line. The current estimate to have these Quiet Zones in place is 2015, but coordination delays have already pushed the projects behind schedule and more may occur. All of the crossings on the BNSF line will become Quiet Zones with the operation of the Gold Line commuter rail opening in 2016. If you have comments, questions, or concerns about general train operations or railroad/street intersections you may submit a service request by clicking on the link below or by calling 720-898-7740.

This information has been brought to you by Public Works.

Submit a Service Request


If your Ask Arvada request pertains to a specific location (other than your address), please include details here. If a location is not relevant to your request, leave this field on Not Applicable.

Special Information (Required)


Please provide as much detail as possible. Do not include sensitive information (passwords, banking account numbers, credit card information, etc.).

Agree and Submit
By submitting this form, you are agreeing that you have not included any sensitive information such as passwords, social security numbers, and banking details. You are acknowledging that you are aware that the data contained in this form is being transmitted through GovOutReach, the tool that the City of Arvada uses to manage requests.

Check Your Request

Login to Ask Arvada

If you submitted a request, you'll get e-mail updates. You can login to Ask Arvada anytime to see the status of your request.

Public Safety and Emergencies

If you are experiencing a safety, medical, or other emergency, dial 911 on your phone. Do not submit a service request. For non-emergency public safety issues, call dispatch 720-898-6900.