Skip Main Navigation

Police Department Ask Arvada

Throwing a cigarette out of a vehicle

Section 62-63 of the City Code makes it illegal to “dump, deposit, or dispose of any glass, paper, can, bottle, box, garbage, or trash anywhere on any street, alley or roadway.” 

You can do something about this by reporting the incident to the police.  However, you must realize that these types of calls are a low priority for the PD as compared to incidents that endanger citizens (disturbances, domestics, traffic accidents, etc). 

Additionally, the constitution guarantees every citizen the right to face their accuser.  Since the police did not witness the event, you must be able to identify both the vehicle and the driver/person who threw the object from the vehicle-not only at the time of the offense, but months later at trial.  You would also be required to appear in court and testify and be cross examined reference the event.  This is an obligation of every citizen who witnesses a crime.

This information was brought to you by the department of Public Safety.

Check Your Request

Login to Ask Arvada

If you submitted a request, you'll get e-mail updates. You can login to Ask Arvada anytime to see the status of your request.

Public Safety and Emergencies

If you are experiencing a safety, medical, or other emergency, dial 911 on your phone. Do not submit a service request. For non-emergency public safety issues, call dispatch 720-898-6900.