Skip Main Navigation
City Offices to be Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday City of Arvada offices will be closed Thursday and Friday, November 26 and 27, for the Thanksgiving holiday. Our offices will open during regular...
Skip to Content

Site Development Permit

  • Published
  • Updated
  • by Utilities

The City of Arvada is required by law to oversee construction sites within their jurisdication in order to minimize the potential for pollutants, which includes sediment, from leaving those sites. To satify this legal requirement, the Site Development Permit is issued to owners, developers, contractors, or builders who must install and maintain adequate best management practices (BMPs) on their site to control all potential pollutant sources.

Do I Need a Site Development Permit?

All projects that disturb 10,000 square feet or more of land must obtain an Arvada Site Development Permit and  then a State Stormwater Discharges Associated With Construction Activity General Permit ( must be obtained. The requirements of the State and City permits are similar. Please download the documents provided on this page for more detailed information on Permit requirements.

Site Development Plan Process

Sediment and erosion control plans must be submitted for review and approval and include the standard notes (see link) as codified in the Engineering Standards and Specifications. A narrative Stormwater Management Plan (see link for template) must be submitted for review and approval.  Installation details for every BMP used must be in the plan, and are found in the Urban Drainage and Flood Control Drainage Criteria Manual, Volume 3 (  The complexity of the plans submitted should be in accordance with the complexity of the proposed project.

  • Disturbed earth is limited to 60 acres on any one site.
  • An individual lot, if that lot is part of a larger common development, must obtain a permit. If the lot is less than 10,000 square feet in area, then a Permit will be awarded at no cost. (see link for the Small Site Brochure).
  • Approved sediment and erosion control plans must be followed, and updated as the site is developed.


Fees for the Site Development Permit vary from $50 to a maximum of $125. A cash escrow or letter of credit of $2,000 plus $200 per acre must be on file with the City.


For More Information

If you have problems downloading the documents on this page, packets are available at City Hall, 8101 Ralston Road. Call the Stormwater Program at 720-898-7800 if you have any questions.