Due to the May 8, 2017 hailstorm roofing inspections are approximately 30 days delayed. Inspection results will be emailed when inspection is completed. Please monitor the inspection status on arvadapermits.org.
Permits and inspections are required for residential and commercial roof replacement allowing building department staff to verify your project meets the minimum building code requirements.
Replacement of roofing material, up to a total of 100 square feet per year, is considered maintenance and does not require a Re-roofing Permit. If a roof is damaged on only one face/side, it is possible/acceptable to replace only that portion of the roofing material if allowed by the manufacturers installation instructions and the proper code requirements are followed. Below are links to additional Re-Roofing topics.
Submit Your Application
Applications can be submitted in person or electronically using eTRAKiT at ArvadaPermits.org. Applications that are submitted online will be reviewed and you will be notified via e-mail when the permit is approved and ready for payment. Licensed contractors will login using your contractor license number in the "Arvada Contractor" field and your password. If you don't remember your password you can use the "Forgot your password" link.
Online Application Process
The City of Arvada uses eTRAKiT for the Permit application process.
- New to eTRAKiT? View our log in instructions and eTRAKiT application guide.
- Returning User? Login to the eTRAKiT application.
Building Permit Fee and Use Tax. Use the fee calculator to get an estimate on roofing permit fees.
Please note that inspection dates for roofing inspections are subject to weather and volume of inspections. Please schedule your inspection and check www.arvadapermits.org for inspection completion. An e-mail confirming the completion of the inspection will be sent to the applicant on completion of inspection.
- MID-ROOF inspections are only required when the roof is flat (1:12) or for special roofing materials such as heavy tiled roofs.
- ROOFING final inspections are required for all Re-Roofing permits.
- No one needs to be home for the inspector to complete their inspection. Please make sure that access to lower roofs is available and no dogs are in the area.
- Ladders: homeowners and contractors do not need to provide a ladder for eave heights less than 12 feet. For eave heights more than 12 feet, please add a note and phone number to your inspection requests indicating a ladder will need to be placed for the inspection. We will call to arrange an inspection time for roofs where a homeowner/contractor needs to place a tall ladder.
- Due to the volume of work after hail storms and daily weather conditions (rain, snow, wind, etc.), the inspection may not be made for several days after it is requested. The inspection status is available on www.arvadapermits.org.
Closing the Permit
Once the ROOFING inspection is completed with an APPROVED or FINAL result, the permit will be finaled and considered closed. Please review the permit status and inspection results on www.arvadapermits.org.
Commercial Roofing IBC-2015
- Positive Roof Drainage: It is a requirement that all roofs must have enough pitch to ensure drainage of the roof within 48 hours after precipitation.
- All commercial roofs must be installed in accordance with Chapter 15 of the 2015 International Building Code as amended and in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.
- All commercial roofing shall be installed as per manufacturer's installations instructions for the wind speed at the area of installation.
- MID-ROOF inspections are required for low slope, commercial, and specialty roofs.
- ROOFING final inspections are required for all Re-Roofing permits.
- Energy Code Upgrades are only required when roofing is torn down to the original decking.
Residential Roofing / Re-Roofing IRC-2015 General requirements:
- Ice Barrier (Ice and Water Shield) not required.
- Any roofing material that is installed for residential use in the City of Arvada must meet the requirements of Chapter 9 International Residential Code including local amendments.
- MID-ROOF inspections are required for low slope, tile, special roofs or special conditions.
- ROOFING inspections are required for all Re-Roofing permits.
- Energy Code Upgrades are only required when roofing is torn down to the original decking
3-Tab, Laminate and Dimensional
- High wind nails per manufactures specs, but no less than 4 nails per shingle. (R905.2.6)
- 2/12 slope minimum roof pitch for all asphalt strip shingles.
- Slopes 2/12 to 4/12 require double felt.
- 90 pound roofing is allowed to 1/12 pitch but must be in accordance with manufacturer’s requirements- most stop at 2/12.
- Mansard and steep slope roofs require special fastening as per manufacturer.
- T-Lock roofing shingles are no longer allowed, but can be repaired.
- Drip edge and rake metal is required. (Arvada Amendment 18-171-R905.2.8.5 )
- Flashing and step flashing is required per R905.2.8.1-R905.2.8.5.
- Felt under rake edge flashing and over eve edge flashing.
- Exposure of shingles per manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- Valleys – Metal open valley as per Table R905.2.8.2 – asphalt open valley use 2 layers 90 lbs. closed valley - bottom Layer 1 - 36” 90 lbs. shingles over top.
- All tile roofs are required to have horizontal batten system lifted off the roof by vertical battens, pads or per manufactures installation requirements.
- High wind installation as specified by the manufacturer
- Mid-roof inspection required with all battens, laterals and metal applied and roof must not be loaded.
Wind Speed Areas
- East of Highway 93 - 136 Vult
- West of Highway 93 - 142 Vult
- All roofing products are required to meet the test ASTM 3161 Class F/110 mph. ASTM 3161 Class F is not associated with the warranty from the shingle manufacturer-three tabs do meet this test as well as laminate or dimensional shingles.
- Re-Roofing Existing Construction:
Other Requirements and Notes
Evaporative coolers – Step, counter and head wall flashing required. (R905.2.8.3 and R05.2.8.4)
Spaced sheathing - Spaced sheathing, with spaces not greater than 1/2" can be reused if it is still in good structural shape. If the gaps are greater than 1/2" in a few areas, repairs may be able to be made. If the gaps are greater than 1/2" on the majority of the roof the spaced sheathing should be removed and solid sheathing shall be installed. If a request is made to install new solid sheathing over the existing spaced sheathing- the sheathing must be nailed in accordance with nailing schedule found in the 2015 IRC.
Crickets are required for all chimneys and saddles (ridge side) 30” or wider.
Roof overhang into gutter – 3/8 to 1 inch.
Metal Flashing - Replace all metal flashing when rusted, damaged or deteriorated. (R908.5 - R908.6) (roof jack, step and counter except B-vent, elect mast.)
Roof repairs – the replacement of shingles here and there is ok and no permit required. If any area exceeds 100 sq. ft., a permit is required. We do not require that the entire roof be replaced if only one side or area is damaged only that specific area needs to be installed per adopted code.
If the furnace flue is damaged or rusted it will need to be replaced by a HVAC contractor. The flue cap should be checked as well as the flue connection to make sure they are connect properly and the cap if replaced needs to be installed correctly so it will allow the escape of dangerous gasses from the home.
- Main Telephone Number:
- Street Address:
8101 Ralston Road, Arvada, CO 80002