Permits are required for any structure (attached or detached) being constructed on a property. Below are some examples of projects that require a permit, this is not an all inclusive list.
- Sheds (120 sq ft or larger)
- Retaining wall
- Patio Covers, Pergolas and awnings
- Hot Tub
Before You Apply
If you are the homeowner and you occupy the structure, you may apply for the permit. If you are hiring a City of Arvada licensed contractor to complete the work, please have them apply for the permit.
- Site Plan with details of the distance from the structure to each property line. If you do not have a site plan, our existing online permit records may contain a site plan that you can use as a template, go to www.arvadapermits.org. If there is no site plan you can get an ILC on your property by hiring a 3rd party company.
- Permit Application
- Two sets of Construction drawings (If structural)
- Engineering maybe required
You can mail or drop off your completed application Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Mail: 8101 Ralston Rd Arvada, CO 80001
Required Plan Reviews
Neighborhood Services needs to approve the placement of the structure
Building Inspections will review the construction plans for code compliance.
- Review fee. $30
- Building permit fee. The building permit fee and Use Tax are based on the total value of construction.
- Use tax. Use Tax is 56% of the job value multiplied by 3.46%.
Inspections can be scheduled until 6:00 a.m. of the desired inspection date. Inspections are completed Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. All inspection can be scheduled using arvadapermits.org or by calling 720-898-7630 and using the automated line. A 3-digit inspection code is required.
Closing the Permit
Once the final building inspection is completed, the permit will be closed. Please review the permit status and inspection results on arvadapermits.org.