A water main replacement project for various areas in the city will begin in May 2018. This project involves open cut installation of approximately 29,100 LF of aging and deteriorating cast iron water mains. The project is expected to be completed by January 2019.
Locations and Dates for Construction
Project areas will be completed in phases. The first area scheduled for replacement is Section L, which includes:
- W. 78th Ave - Kipling Street to Nelson Street
- W. 79th Way - Lee Street to Nelson Street
- W. 79th Place - Nelson Street to Newman Street
- Lee Street - W. 78th Ave. to W. 79th Way
- Nelson Street - W. 77th Place to W. 79th Place
- Newman Street - W. 78th Ave. to W. 80th Ave.
Construction in Section L will begin on May 24 and will take approximately one month to complete.
What to Expect
- During construction, temporary traffic control devices will be in place to direct traffic in the work zone.
- There will be temporary lane closures in the work zone, but access will be maintained to all residences during construction.
- Temporary no parking signs may be posted in the work vicinity.
- There will be open excavations at times. Caution should be used in the vicinity of the construction operations.
- Street closures are not anticipated at this time.
Water Service Interruptions
- Area residents whose water service may be interrupted during the project will be notified one day in advance with a bright orange door hanger on the front door.
- Service interruptions take place between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Intermittent discoloration of the water sometimes occurs during construction due to water surges which loosen particles inside the old main and service pipes. Let your cold water run 10 minutes or until the water clears.
City of Arvada Engineer Bill Jennings: 720-898-7643
For emergency assistance after hours: 720-898-7820.