Arvada was the site of the first gold strike in Colorado.On June 22, 1850, a wagon train, bound for California, crossed the Platte River just north of the confluence with Clear Creek, following Clear Creek west for six miles.The members of the wagon train rested for a day, and Lewis Ralston dipped his gold pan in an unnamed mountain stream.He found almost $5 in gold in his first pan.The stream was later named Ralston Creek in his memory.
Arvada is named after the brother-in-law of its founder. Benjamin F. Wadsworth filed a town plat in 1870 and Mary, Wadsworth's wife, named the new town in honor of her brother-in-law, Hiram Arvada Haskin.
In the early years, Arvada was famous for its pascal celery, which was served for holiday dinners at the White House in the early 1900s. In fact, Arvada was once known as the “Celery Capital of the World.”
The first King Soopers was in Olde Town Arvada in 1947.Lloyd J. King was the owner.
Louis Larsen, an Arvadan, was the railroad engineer who took the first train through the Moffat Tunnel in 1938.
The first traffic signal in Jefferson County was at the corner of Wadsworth and Grandview in 1941.
Arvadan T. H. Krause invented the automobile turn signal.
“Babe” Didrikson Zaharias, Olympic champion and voted the greatest female athlete of the 20th century, called Arvada home for a period of time.